I SEE A NEW CHURCH STATEMENT:
We, the people of Shepherd of the Valley United Methodist Church believe our mission is to share the love of Jesus Christ with all our neighbors in the Coachella Valley.
We see the needs of our neighbors: their hunger for food; their need for affordable housing; their need for access to health care; and their need to feel safe. We envision the children of our community becoming self-sufficient, caring, and responsible adults. We are committed to reaching out in love and making our corner of the world a better place.
As a church we are committed to introducing our neighbors to Jesus Christ so that each may experience the fullness of God’s love and enjoy the power of God’s transforming grace. We want our neighbors to know that God loves them and we are communicating this message through all our words and deeds.
Called to Witness as You Go, Lift Renewal Ministries
Think of giving a person eternity CPR. Witnessing is not optional. It is a commandment. Matthew 28:19-20
Called to witness? Where are you now? Rate yourself on the following items:
5 is always: 1 is never. 2, 3, and 4 are somewhere in between.
5 4….3….2….1 I make a point to be out in the world and saying hi to people.
5 4….3….2….1 As I am out and about, I say hi to everyone in eye contact, and give them a warm smile
5 4….3….2….1 I believe that every person I know would be better off living God’s way.
5 4….3….2….1 I live my life in such a way that others around me know I believe this.
5 4….3….2….1 I want to become more of a walk across the room man or woman who jumps all over evangelistic opportunities God lays in my path.
5 4….3….2….1 I am willing to let go of other passions so that God’s people Can take top priority
There is no 1 approach to witnessing. People on a continuum of minus _10__ to plus _10__.
R___Reaps the Harvest_____________
Take the __intiatiative____________.
Walk in ___faith____________.
In the power of the __Holy________ ____Spirit________.
Leave the __results_________ to God.
Hybel’s Prayer, “My life is in your hands, God. Use me to point someone toward you today. I promise to cooperate in any way I can. If you want me to say a word for you today, I will do that. If you want me to keep quiet but demonstrate love and servant hood, by your Spirit’s power I will. I am fully available to you today, so guide me by your spirit.”
To be good at evangelism, we don’t need anything special. We only need
Where can we find people?
Which of the conversational openers best suits you?
- Other _____________________________________________________________
What is your story? Matching
_____ Man born with a disability A. Walked in shame, but now in Grace.
_____Zacchaeus, a wealthy tax B. Devoted to killing followers but now a
Collector devoted one.
_____The apostle Paul C. Gripped by greed, but now gripped by
The needs of the poor.
_____ Woman caught in adultery D. I was blind, but now I see.
Your Before Your After
Which one best summarizes your before state? _
Your encounter with Christ
Circumstances that led you to submit your life to Christ _
Your after Since inviting Christ into my life, I’ve become _
Know the Gospel
God the creator Genesis 1:1,
People the sinners – Romans 3:23
Jesus is the only way – John 14:6
Our response in faith and repentance – Romans 10:9
Example of Sinner’s prayer.
“Dear Lord Jesus,
I know I am a sinner, and I ask for your forgiveness. I believe you died for my sins and rose from the dead. I trust and follow you as my Lord and Savior. Guide my life and help me to do your will.
In your name, amen.” Taken from www.jesus.org
Books and Pamphlets
Abraham, Ken, Armed and Dangerous, Ephesians 6:11 Straight answers from the Bible
Barnes, Mike, Which Way is the Ocean?o
Feldmeir, Mark, You Need to Get Out More, Four Practices for Hospitable Living
Gilbert, Greg, What Is the Gospel?
Hybels, Bill and Mittelberg, Mark Becoming a Contagious Christian,
Hybels, Bill, A Walk Across the Room, Zondervan
Ingrim, Chip, Share the Love (Audio book)
Pippert, Rebecca Manley, Out of the Salt Shaker and Into the World., Intervarsity Press
Galan, Benjamin, The Plan of Salvation
EASY EVANGELISM Do it Gods way…
Compiled by Jackie Phillips, email@example.com
God the creator – write down your unique and wonderful story – share these thoughts in 30-60 seconds
Man the sinner
• ROMANS 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short
• CROMANS 5:8 but god demonstrates his love for us in this – while we were sinners Christ died for us
• Can’t get to heaven on good works
• Can’t get to heaven by church attendance
• Need to be honest with God. Admit your sin.
Jesus is the only way
• JOHN 14:6 I am the way the truth and the life no one come to the father except through me
Our Response in Faith and Repentance
• ROMANS 10:9 for if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead you will be save
STEPS TO TURNING A NORMAL CONVERSATION INTO A JESUS CONVERSATION
• How was your weekend? Mine was good as well. My pastor shared something in his sermon that really made a difference to me – Our words are an overflow of our hearts.
• I love to know what is important to people – What are five things most important to you?
• How do you spend most of your free time away from work – we normally spend our free time doing things we love the most?
• Who do you turn to when your world is turned upside down? What do you do when bad news comes your way?
• When your life is over what do you hope people say about you? What will people say was most important in your life?
• If you could have a do-over in life what would you do differently?
• What is your prayer for your kids? What is your hope for them in this life?
• So, what do you think happens when this life is over?
Once you have these in mind it is easy to take any conversation and move it to a conversation that can change a person’s life.
How many of your conversations are life changing?
You need a plan if you want to lead someone to Christ!
PDF from Tom Lance, Senior Pastor, Grove Community Church, Riverside, CA
WHAT LIFT PREVIOUSLY SHARED WITH US:
1) Personal Discipleship God’s grace covers every human life from cradle to grave (whether people are aware of it or are ready to receive it. There is a ministry of the church for people at every stage of the discipleship journey Rather that provide them with “right answers”, individuals are best served when we discern their faith path and meet them where they are. “Conversion” (or new birth) is not a culminating event, but a beginning point for growth in Christ. Every disciple is expected to grow throughout his or her life.
2) Congregational Life “We are what we measure.” What does SOTV UMC currently measure? What should SOTV UMC be measuring? LIFT shared 4 Factors of Congregational Health/Vitality Justice – Knowing and engaging our surrounding community and the world with mutuality and grace. Bringing shalom to our world. Compassion – Having a heart for the Mission of Christ Worship – An attitude, both public and private leading to an Aldersgate Street experience Piety – Disciplines and practices which foster healthy Community/Congregational life
WHAT LIFT HEARD YOU SAYING:
There is positive movement at SOTV UMC, momentum is tracking in encouraging directions There are, nevertheless, a number of areas for improvement in SOTV UMC’s congregational practices. There is a high ceiling with room for growth. LIFT heard a real desire to go and meet the community and get to know them in specific ways. LIFT heard a desire to see a greater congregational engagement in future gatherings (LIFT events)
WHAT SOTV UMC PROMISED:
To spend some time at every gathering, class, and meeting brainstorming potential programs / ministries which will improve the congregation’s JUSTICE Factor. Select representatives from SOTV UMC will meet with community leaders* to discuss this question : “What can SOTV UMC be doing in Indio that would be most helpful to you?”
*City Council members, Mayor, Chamber of Commerce, School Principals, Merchants, etc.”